Friday, April 27, 2007

Nishabd with Zonko Junkies

I had gone to watch Nishabd with my ‘zonko junkie’ literary friends. The term is self proclaimed, and so I have no explanation for it. One of them remarked over Amitabh Bachchan’s predicament in the film, “Such is life and so much is life.”
“Dude, the man is a picaresque hero. Such random energy in his ageing eyes,” Markandey, popularly called makdi, butted in.
“Where is any picaresque element dude? The hero is not a picaro, he is not a rogue, neither does he go on any adventure to augur such a classification,” Sunil Kumar alias Ass Kay retorted to the idea.
“Now now,” I said mighty confused, “the picture is indeed picturesque with all the valleys and the thunder thighs of Jia Khan, but I see no Picasso anywhere.”
“Fool, Picaro not Picasso,” Makdi mocked at me, “Picaro is a Spanish hero who’s a rogue and goes on all these adventures. And Picaresque is a derivative.”
“Rogue I can’t see, but I could see that the old man had some sort of a rog. As in sickness, you see, falling for this young girl and spoiling it all,” I said.
Ass Kay was in splits, “Man this guy is too much. He is a rogue and he is sick. He is almost Kafkaesque, with his surreal humour and all, that is if he intends it.”
Ass Kay’s addition of a new ‘esque’ had totally stumped me, and Makdi added, “Yeah yeah this dude needs to be metamorphosed into a spider weaving stupid trans-lingual puns, like the hero of Kafka’s Metamorphosis.”
Ass Kay showed off some off his knowledge quoting the first line of that book, “As Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into a gigantic insect.”
“Ungeziefer is the word for insect in German original by Kafka,” Makdi said not to be left behind, “and you know what, the creator of Lolita, Nabokov, was himself an entomologist.”
While I grappled with the meaning of ‘entomologist’, Makdi said, “Nabokov had researched that Gregor Samsa had got converted to no other insect but a beetle, with wings under his shell, and he could fly if only he had known this fact.”
I figured myself as Gregor Samsa, the beetle, and started looking for wings under my shell to take a long flight far away from the zonko junkies.

No comments: