Monday, July 09, 2007

Word Dropping - HORSERADISHED

Word dropping

We came back from the Camel’s Back Cemetery – Victor, my Australian genealogist friend and I, and had a long walk in the winding roads on the dark, cloudy evening of Landour. We decided to go to a bar. “Screwdriver,” he shouted out his order, and looked at me and asked, “Do you know the origin of his vodka and orange juice cocktail?”
“Sounds like some sexual connotation to me,” I said.
“One track mind,” chuckled Victor, “it has an Iranian connection. The oil workers of USA in Iran used to carry screw drivers in their jumpers. They used it to mix their drink.”
“Then this thing must have a lot of grease in it,” I chuckled and ordered for a Bloody Mary.
“There’s it just the matter of grease, and here it is the matter of blood,” Victor grimaced, “if you can’t have that, you can’t have this either.”
“Well it’s called Bloody Mary because tomato’s texture is red,” I said.
“There’s more to it my friend. Queen Mary I is known as bloody Mary. She had many miscarriages, and was never able to have a baby. That’s why she is called Bloody Mary. Bloodier than her was Elizabeth Bathory, a countess in Hungary, in the 16th century. She used to bath in blood. It was believed that bathing in blooding helped retain youthful complexion.”
“You are making up a vampire story like Dracula,” I said, slightly petrified.
“Oh,” said my friend, “she is the inspiration behind Bram Stoker’s Dracula. Even vampirologist Raymond McNally in his book Dracula was a Woman, agrees with my idea.”
Victor came closer and said, “Do you know they invoke Bloody Mary by standing in front of the mirror and chanting her name in various ways? And then she stares at you from within the mirror.”
“Okay, okay, let’s concentrate on the drinks,” I said.
“Oh indeed. I must tell you that Bloody Mary has an amazing ingredient, the horseradish. It’s a spice, an aphrodisiac, a medicinal herb, and much more.”
“I didn’t know horses eat radishes. I have heard of rabbit and carrot, and can stretch it to rabbit and radish for the sake of onomatopoeia but this is too much.”
Victor said, “In German it was called meerrettich and the English made it mare-radish. The next generation turned the mare into a horse.”
“I think I am quite a horse in my head,” I said and drank quick shots to avoid more vampires.

No comments: