Monday, May 14, 2007

Surreal and Sadiyal

Gunda is a cult classic, and I being an AC of Gunda and Mithun da, had written a long article about Gunda fan club which worships the movie that has three rapes, thirteen murders and all dialogues in rhymes. The IITians had started the fan club, and so I was invited to their campus by a five-point-someone (FPS) for a screening of Loha, the complementary movie of Gunda. In one sequence, Shakti Kapoor comes to the adda of the villain and declares that he has tied bombs all around him and he’ll blow the place. So he blows the bomb and himself, and everybody else is left laughing.
“Quite a sadiyal movie,” I said, “How can a suicide bomber blow up while the rest are left blowing up their chewing gums?”
“That’s the beauty my friend. It is not sadiyal, it is surreal. It’s psychedelic, it’s science fiction, it is…”“Chill, I said. What is so surreal about it? Mithun da just must have decided that he’ll kill the villain, so he changed the script.”
“Come on, can’t you see the very elementary things,” FPS retorted.
“It is alimentary for sure. My alimentary canal and stomach are churning after seeing these random scenes,” I said.
“Come on dude. Surrealism is the reality. There are surreal numbers as well. Did you know there is a book called Surreal Numbers: How Two Ex-Students Turned on to Pure Mathematics and Found Total Happiness by Donald Knuth? It is the first novel arguably where mathematical concepts were presented through fictional tale,” FPS puffed on his cigarette with glee.
“And what could surreal numbers possibly be?” I asked, perplexed.
“Any number. Rational, irrational, infinitesimal, real, unreal,” he replied.
“Any number is surreal? That means all things real are surreal?” I exclaimed.
“Exactly,” said my friend, “you what Dali had said when he was called an eccentric? He said, ‘There’s only one difference between the madman and me. I am not mad.’”
“Yaar tum to dada ho,” I chuckled.
“Ya ya I believe in Dadaism, but not so much as in surrealism. The Dadaists believed that too much rational thought had brought about the misery of the world. They protested but did not evolve new forms, you see.”
I had figured out Gandhigiri a few days back but did not know they already had a counter-weapon in Dadaism.

No comments: